Suppose your task requires massive computing power or high network traffic, or needs to run reliably 24/7 then what will you do?
We can use a virtual machine. With a virtual machine, we can get access to a slice of a physical machine located in a data center.
If you are using AWS platform then Elastic Compute Cloud (EC2) can be used as virtual machine.
Suppose you are hosting a web application such as WordPress in your project. What are the different layers of virtualization can be used?
Hosting a web application can be considered as virtual machine.It consists of CPUs, memory, networking interfaces, and storage.
The different layers of virtualization:
Host machine–The physical machine
Guests– running VMs
What are the different types of instance families ?
There are different types of instance families optimized for different kinds of use cases.
T family—Cheap, moderate baseline performance with the ability to burst to higher performance for short periods of time
M family—General purpose, with a balanced ration of CPU and memory
C family—Computing optimized, high CPU performance
R family—Memory optimized, with more memory than CPU power compared to M family
D family—Storage optimized, offering huge HDD capacity
I family—Storage optimized, offering huge SSD capacity
X family—Extensive capacity with a focus on memory, up to 1952 GB memory and 128 virtual cores
F family—Accelerated computing based on FPGAs
P, G, and CG family—Accelerated computing based on GPUs
What are the advantages of adding tags to an EC2 instance?
There are three major advantages for resource tagging:
- We can use tags to filter and search for resources.
- We can analyze AWS bill based on resource tags.
- We can restrict access to resources based on tags.
How can you control a virtual machine’s state?
There are four actions to control a virtual machine’s state:
Start—You can always start a stopped virtual machine.
- Stop— We know that a stopped virtual machine doesn’t incur charges and it can started again on a different host.
- Reboot— You won’t lose any data when rebooting a virtual machine because it stays on the same host.
- Terminate—Terminating a virtual machine means deleting it. You can’t start a virtual machine that you’ve already terminated. A terminated virtual machine doesn’t incur charges.
What is the difference between stopping and terminating an EC2 instance?
We can start a stopped virtual machine whereas it isn’t possible with a terminated virtual machine. If you terminated a virtual machine it means it is deleted.